Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Early Impressions of Japan


I did not think that I would fit in as a blonde, 5 foot 8" tall white girl in a sea of small Japanese people with starkly black hair. I honestly expected culture 'shock' but it seems more like an unexpected weather change. The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Japan is “small”. I commented about this to my friend, who is native Japanese. I said, "Japan is so small." Her reply, after having come and stayed as an exchange student herself, was, "America is so big!" Like her, I'm beginning to miss the cheapness of Wal-Mart. Japan is expensive, but to me the food also has more taste. I expected small things, courteous people, quiet subways, people actually using umbrellas, and the like.
People take the rain seriously here,
and don't care how they look when they do.

Despite Japan's modernization, it's still slightly surprising to see
things like these; little statues made to guard the shop.
I still remember when my brother got into a crowded tub at an onsen and many of them left quickly and silently. Later I was told this was most likely due to the fear of my brother trying to chat with them in English. The importance of saving face and helping each other selflessly is a societal norm that I find hard to live with, because I feel like it’s even more important not to make mistakes here, when that is exactly what I am going to do, and have been doing.

I even caused a man to crash his motorbike by stepping too close to the crosswalk. I know it was me, because he tracked me down and asked if I was ok, and gave me a lecture about watching lights and being careful. Even though I was the reason part of his bike broke off, he (and others) were more concerned about asking me if I was OK.

Many things about me may be American, but it doesn’t stop my host mother from saying that my shyness is very Japanese. Despite my self-inflicted handicaps and pessimistic outlooks, I try my best to be happy about others’ kindness, sincerity, and charity.



1 comment:

  1. Your weather change theme is an interesting way to describe your early impressions. I like the links you provide (although I don't think your brother entering the hot spring was a case of gaijin smash). I'd like to hear more about the motorbike crash because I don't see how it could have been your fault. Anyway, it seems as though you are out there exploring and interacting and more importantly pondering. From here on you can use this blog as an excuse to more fully research and document your observations. I think it is an advantage that you can recognize your so-called "handicaps" (biases?) and how they might shape your experiences. I look forward to your future posts.

    There seems to be some things missing in the CC below. can you fix it?

    ReplyDelete