Thursday, May 17, 2012

Visualization in Deaf Culture

I've been incredibly hesitant to make a post on anything to do with deaf culture or gestures, as there is already a ton of stuff on that and JSL (Japanese Sign Language) on our teacher's blog by itself. However, after finding myself at Shiori's house again last Saturday, thanks to friend Fukumichi from JSL Circle, I realized this topic was the most interesting one to discuss for me.

Shiori, deaf graphic designer, taking photos

My own background with any sign language is very little. I had never met any actual deaf people before coming to Japan, and had only really learnt a little bit from a small study group I went to a couple times and from my sister learning it. My sister, who has Down Syndrome, had an easier time expressing herself through baby sign language as a child than through speaking, though she is fully capable of both hearing and speaking.

Children's book made by another hard of hearing friend in the circle.
She was kind enough to give me a copy.

I feel like my general upbringing was enclosed in the repeated idea of "different, not wrong", eventually making me continually question what normal is. Ironically I came to the country where different and wrong are pretty much one and the same word; 違う, though that doesn't mean that the meaning is lumped together in Japanese culture, as I originally thought. I have some close 'gay' friends, one of which prefers the word 'queer' to 'homosexual'. Offensiveness in words is an interesting concept, linguistically, and applies to deaf culture also.

Perhaps having so much fun spending time with Shiori and her friends during the group at her house was not only a matter of being in an incredibly friendly learning environment, but also the increase in visual stimuli and it's usage in communication. I heard a student from my teacher's other class, which was more Body Language in Japanese Society (or something), complain that the class is just a lot of learning JSL. Thinking about it now, it would make a lot of sense to learn such things in learning about body language. I realized that after spending about 4 hours with people who couldn't hear, I started using my hands and face much, much more not only to talk with people who could barely understand my fumbled attempt at JSL, but also with people who could hear me fine, English or Japanese speakers.

I thought this shot was great; we kept breaking Shiori's
little globe, and we'd repeatedly have to put it back together
again. Perhaps a metaphor?

Hopefully I can keep using this knowledge in the states, too. Though, I might more commonly just ask people how many older brothers they have when I'm upset with them. Either way, the experience was worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you had the opportunity to study JSL. Shiori is a great person and very generous with her time and teaching.

    As for your friend in Body/Comm... S/he was forewarned about the class coming from a deaf perspective and the amount of JSL that we would explore - s/he should reread the syllabus...

    Anyway, thanks for this post and all the links to VAOJ!

    ReplyDelete