Thursday, May 17, 2012

Changing Impressions of Japan; Conclusion

Trains are so convenient

Though it's entirely possible (and regrettable to think) that I could have done and seen more in Japan, the experience I've had here has been one of a kind, and I wouldn't change a thing about it. I might have made more friends with exchange students than Japanese people, but ultimately that puts my own role in the world into perspective.





I realized recently, after continuing to meet new people in travel adventures, that my original infatuation with Japan was in fact visual; I love Japanese modern art, from architecture, to miniatures, to anime, etc., and this has influenced my own art quite a bit over the past few months. I've come to like many things about Japan I wouldn't have thought of before. For example, where else can you find a nan taco but at Moss Burger? Or see so many weirdly named barber shops? Oddly enough I realize now one of my biggest culture shocks was the change from rural tiny coastal town (and college town in the middle of nowhere) to decent size city of Hirakata.

Too bad one of these magic signs
didn't exist nearby in my first 2 weeks

As far as impressions of people, I have to say I'm glad they've evened out. It seemed before I left that it was either 'awesome Japan' or 'crazy/weird Japan'. Now I can just say that it's Japan. My friend's hospitality and love was balanced by the shunning by Japanese in public forum and my trouble with my host mother. I think it's quite amazing I was able to get past so quickly her comments like "Oh, you've gained weight," or my personal favorite, "Since you're a girl you should be able to help me cook and clean regularly." Somehow, despite my feminist upbringing, the infamous patriarchy of Japan was something I was able to just brush past. 

Overall, this experience has been one that has allowed me to not only come to understand myself better, but be able to see Japan and Japanese people from a closer perspective than through a screen.


1 comment:

  1. I am glad you had so many interesting experiences during your study abroad here. You have had many interesting topics and observations in your posts. Thank you for your efforts this semester.

    ReplyDelete